Happy (fiscal) new year!
Our clients tend to get quieter for a couple weeks right around the June 30/July 1 fiscal year switch. We here at Nonprofit Media Solutions use that time to take a breath and gear up for our own fiscal year to come. One of our best retreats was a few years ago over a Google hangout across two states in two hour chunks. In just a little over a day, we checked off a mighty list of topics to discuss.
We’ve found that checking in like this twice a year helps us set our course and talk through our own strategic planning, as well as where we will recommend our clients take theirs. It feels good to get it done, and good to know we’re moving in a forward direction, even if we have to adjust every once in a while.
Here are a few of the things that we discussed that your team might want to talk about too:
- A review of roles and responsibilities. Who follows up with whom? Who takes the lead on projects, development, retention and other operational tasks?
- How do personality types affect the cohesiveness of your team? We’ve done both the Myers-Brigg and the DISC Assessment. It’s amazing how understanding your team and their understanding you can make a big difference.
- A review of current programs (or in our case, clients). What’s the load like? Are there plans to expand in the coming year? What does that look like for the team in place? What needs to happen to make this a successful endeavor?
- A content calendar for event, print and online publications and social media. Look at your calendar for the next year. What events are coming up and how will you tailor your communications to showcase them in the best way?
- A review of the past year. What were your successes? What needs to be improved in the coming year?
- A review of social media analytics. What’s working? What isn’t? How can your team adjust to make the most of this exposure?
- What conferences and other continuing education will your team take on this year?