We’re certainly not the first people talking about Dan Pallotta’s TED video, The Way We Think About Charity is Dead Wrong, going viral this week. Nearly over 900,000 people watched it before we did. (If you’re one of the few who hasn’t seen it, check it out.)
Pallotta spends almost 19 minutes opening our eyes to the double standards present. The nonprofit industry can’t play by the same rules as American businesses do, and Pallotta thinks it’s time to change that.
Here are a few of the highlights:
- Working in nonprofits shouldn’t be an economic sacrifice
- More money should be spent on advertising and marketing for all nonprofits
- Nonprofit leaders should be encouraged to take risks as business leaders do all the time
- Overhead isn’t the problem. In fact, Pallotta argues that nonprofits should have more overhead because that’s how growth will be funded and social change will actually be achieved
- And, our favorite part: when talking with a nonprofit about their work, “ask about the size of their dreams.”